Monday 2 July 2007

Information literacy: a clarification

I decided that I would attend a conference at the University today on pedagogies. My first mistake was not realising that it was in-fact a three day event! Well, I attended the first lecture, and then decided to disappear – not very good I know. Anyway, this allowed me to start reading another article:

Langford, L. (1998). "Information literacy: a clarification." School Libraries Worldwide 4(1): 59-72.

This is another article which I liked very much; in that it set off a whole ream of writing and thoughts -- It is an article which tapped into my consciousness. Where this article is a little different is that it focuses more on literacies in general. Langford is another voice who recognised back in 1998 that there is a gap in the IL literature (Todd and also Boyce etc). Langford questions whether we need to examine ‘new literacies’ as propagated by Ross and Bailey (1994) Wanted new literacies for the information age, NASSP Bulletin 78(563):31-35 . This is another paper to add to my list to read, to see if I agree with Langford.

No comments: