Thursday 12 July 2007

Conference Carnegie Research Practice Conference

The second conference of the week, this time organised by the Carnegie faculty for all PhD and research students at Leeds Met. The venue was the very impressive new ‘facility’ at the Headingly Cricket and Rugby ground (food was excellent too!) This is one of the few occasions were all of the research students get together to network and share. Again, although I am not a natural networker, I managed to find a couple of people who have similar interests to me – so from that angle the day was very useful. The day started with a lecture on critical thought, this was very useful and I need to follow up the on the notes. I then attended a seminar on ‘How to survive your viva’; this is uppermost in my mind as I have a confirmation viva soon. After lunch, Professor Tony Bryant, presented an excellent seminar on Grounded Theory; an area of research method which so far is beyond my understanding. He was excellent! The day ended with a ‘question time’, type ask the panel and then the day was brought to a close by the Vice-chancellor. Overall, a very good day.

No comments: