Tuesday 17 July 2007

Buch und Lesen: Historical Perspectives on Literacy and Schooling.

Clifford, G., J (1984). "Buch und Lesen: Historical Perspectives on Literacy and Schooling." Review of Educational Research 54(4).

Today I read this paper, I know that I have diarised this week for reading up about research methodologies; however, I have manager to find more interesting papers to read. I ordered this paper some time ago from the British Library and so when tidying up some files I found this to read.

This is a great paper that presents a critical historical overview of literacy (not information literacy!) and its affect on society. It includes arguments made against literacy itself, and examines the literacy creep – from being classed as literate when you could mark X to sign your name through to functional literacies. There are elements of the paper when looking at the developments of literacy that fit very nicely with the development of IL as a theory. This is a must for anyone looking at information literacy as it presents a definition of literacy itself, and is firmly not written form a librarian perspective.

No comments: