Thursday 3 July 2008

Transcriptions

Ok, the research was going great until I realised how hard transcription is.  I spent quite some time on interview number one, playing it laboriously in Windows Media Player, and then RealPlayer and then QuickTime--non worked satisfactory. 

I have however, come across some free software called Express Scribe http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/ which seems to be helping.

Despite the joy of the new transcription software it is still a very long process, it is taking me around 8 hours to transcribe a 1 hour interview, hopefully I will speed-up a little.  This means that I will spend about 40 days in the next year just transcribing, that excludes coding and analysis--ouch....!

People have suggested that I employ speech recognition software, or even a real typist...or anyone mad enough to help me out; on reflection these sound like very tempting (even seductive) suggestions, yet I personally feel that I would loose out by using a quick fix.  As I transcribe I am forced to address each interview systematically and laboriously thus helping me force a fresh familiarity with each one.   So, if you read this, please remember me over the next few weeks and months as I continue to conduct interviews and then transcribe them....

PS.  If anyone has any suggestions to alternative transcription software I would be interested.  

No comments: