Monday 21 July 2008

Thinking about class

I thought I better make another post.   My past few weeks have been very busy procrastinating, a thousand and one jobs you can find to do so that you don't have to transcribe! 

On a more serious note, my research has led me into the dangerous territories of class -  how does social class (whatever class may be) or background affect an individuals access to or ability to access information?    Certainly, from the interviews I have conducted thus far, all stereotypical assumptions seem to have been fulfilled.   

Pondering this issue I came across a very interesting Interview on the World at One (BBC Radio 4) with Trevor Philips head of the Equality and Human Rights Commission calling for greater fairness in the UK.  It seems that according to Philips said: 'Our growing hour glass economy is the issue of the 21st century, the division between the haves, the have nots and the never-will-haves. The great danger is that economic trends are pushing our country towards the entrenchment of greater and more divisive inequality.' 

What Philips is saying here as potentially huge implications for my research and at its early stage seems to be in full accordance.   His summary and the full PDF document can be obtained from here:  Single Equality Bill

No comments: