Thursday 10 July 2008

Post Grad Conference

My time at the moment seems to be sucked up by interviews, reading and transcriptions-- oh and family...and...I am still only on the third transcription. 

The other week, I gave a presentation of my research to date at a multi-disciplinary conference of other PhD students and researchers from across the University.  This was a great opportunity to see what other people from other disciplines are up to and also see where there is overlap with what I am doing.  Certainly, a lecturer on the Health Studies course was very interested in what I am doing because of its closeness to heath information, this perhaps opening some future doors.  

So how did the presentation go?  Well on the face of it I felt I gave a good presentation, if we discount the projector failing half way through my slides and my managing to offend the 'pure' sociologists in the audience by my use of the loaded term 'chaotic lives' to describe the hard to reach poor--this cafuffle really opened my eyes.  It didn't help matters by my making a joke of it...leading to the question (in my mind), 'do sociologist have a sense of humour or are they so earnest that humour is taboo?' my personal reflection was that in this case humour is at the expense of other people therefore outlawed...   Anyway I will put that down to experience.  

PS - Does anyone know any good sociologist jokes?

No comments: