Wednesday 17 September 2008

Meadowfield Parents Group

Today I attended the first session after the school holidays at the Meadowfield's Bacon 'n' Bingo Parents Session. I feel that I am beginning to be accepted by some of those present and almost becoming part of the fixtures. I started a tentative conversation with some of the mothers today about local schools these conversations seemed to flow freely and easily enough. My aim for next week is to further cultivate these conversations with a view to being able to approach the ladies for an interview.

After the session I was speaking with the support workers about the difficulty accessing hard to reach parents--those people whose voices remain unheard and who miss out and much of the community work. One of the workers said that very often "it is those parents who shout the loudest" who get all the help and support with those in real need being missed out. She explained that the only way to get in contact within some people was to go 'cold door knocking' and that they were always on the lookout for volunteers. I said that I could happily commit for six months. Let’s see where this goes. It may be an opportunity to meet with those people outside of the connected social groups.

No comments: