Monday 16 June 2008

Transcribing Data

A challenge with the approach of allowing 'yesterday's' data (or interviews in my case) (Guba and Lincoln, 1985) to shape the direction of 'today's', is that in my case, it means that I have to write up the transcriptions from audio recordings of the interviews.  A couple of weeks in to my fieldwork, I have conducted five interviews, and have yet transcribe any of them (procrastination?). 

To give a little perspective, Today (Monday), I have another interview, Wednesday (five interviews) and Thursday (one interview).  Thus by the end of the week I will have approximately 12+ hours of interviews to transcribe.    This is why Guba and Lincoln, recommend that the researcher does not audio record interviews,  rather that he or she writes notes during the interview.  Such recommendations, although logical, in practice does not work and is impractical (and may put off the interviewee, as well as hinder the flow of the process), for a free flowing semi-structured interview, conducted by a novice researcher (me!). 

No comments: