Wednesday 23 May 2007

Information literacy: a practitioner's guide

Yesterday I said that I would complete the review of the Andretta, S. (2005). Information literacy: a practitioner's guide. To use a well know aphorism, “it does as it says on the tin.” The book provides an idiot proof introduction to the topic. That said, it is very much aimed at the librarian practitioner, who delivers training in a HE setting. The book proved to be illuminating, especially Andretta’s discussions and comparisons of the three information literacy frameworks, ACRL IL Standard, ANZIL IL standards and SCONUL Information skills. My homework is to now look at these frameworks in detail, myself.

Chapter 1 is a general introduction, chapter 2 provides the ubiquitous “setting the scene”, but still very useful as it is written in a very accessible way. Topics covered here include, models of IL, definitions and a very useful national perspective, form a US, Australian and UK view. I must admit, that the rest of the book proved to be less useful for me, as it deals with the delivering of IL training in a HE setting. Here, I have to be disciplined, and concentrate and focus on required reading. Notwithstanding, what I read would undoubtedly be extremely useful for training librarians.

No comments: