Monday 10 December 2007

The Ladder of Inference and its use in Information Literacy

Ok, my new resolution is to try again at typing something every day on my blog; we will have to see how long that lasts! Well, part of the reason for my lack of activity on this blog was the preparation for my PhD confirmation process. Thankfully, I passed that, and so I would seem to be a boa fide PhD student. Since my confirmation viva, I have been looking at altering some parts of my methodology – more of this in a future posting.

Whilst preparing for my viva, I came across the ladder of inference. The ladder of inference is a theory, which deals with how people make decisions based on the information they have at hand. This information is sometimes quite incomplete, yet they use what they have and infer a result that is sometimes way off the mark. Although, my understanding is that it was developed for international negotiations, I believe that it has a lot of potential for examining the ‘critical’ aspect of information literacy. I would value any of your thoughts on this subject.

No comments: